Friday, June 07, 2013

Onepoto Caves

Onepoto Caves.
I liked going into the caves best because it was a really fun adventure and I like learning about the land and how it came together as one.

Onepoto Caves were formed 2,200 years ago. The Caves formed in the same way as Waikaremoana. It  goes through a small valley 10 km south of the Aniwaniwa Visitor Center. Onepoto Caves are completely harmless and they won’t hurt you at all. They are 2 Km’s long and 2 hours to walk around the track fully. There are heaps and heaps of cave weta found in Onepoto caves . Even baby Cave Weta.  Be careful though, they are everywhere. DOC officers say you need a torch. They are very dark in some places. It takes 3 hours and 47 minutes to travel to Onepoto Caves from Hastings. These caves are very muddy.  Onepoto Caves have over ten caves in the whole entire track.



Room 17 went to Onepoto Caves In the Te Urewera National park. It was for a  really fun activity for Camp Kaitawa. We also had Mrs Roil and Miss Hill.
Next’ I would like to go in the big cave with a rope. I would also leave my torch behind and go in the dark. I think that will be challenging for me. I would like to hold a Cave Weta in my hand and let it walk up my hand but not up my arm. My biggest fear is insects walking on my hand, even butterflies.   


So you should go and check Onepoto caves for yourself. Don’t forget to take a torch and a friend.


By Ethin


Photo from: Room 17 Camp Kaitawa Photos.

3 comments:

  1. Like your Onepoto caves story Ethin, I saw heaps of cave weta in the Onepoto caves. One cave weta was about 5 cm long. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive been to kaitawa and went to the caves about 30 years ago and it sounds as if you had as much enjoyment as i did. another enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow great story Ethin keep up the great work from your friend CRYSTAL

    ReplyDelete